Air conditioners are vital in hot climates, but they can be quite noisy. If your air conditioner is making noise, it could be a sign that it needs a tune-up or repair. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the reasons why air conditioners make noise and some of the signs that indicate your AC needs servicing.
How Do Air Conditioners Work?
Air conditioners work by circulating cool air through your home. The compressor is one of the most important parts of an AC unit, and it can be a source of noise. When the compressor turns on, you may hear a loud humming noise. This is normal and indicates that your AC unit is working properly.
However, if the compressor is making a rattling noise, it could be a sign of loose parts. If you hear this kind of noise coming from your AC unit, it’s best to call a professional for service.
Your AC Fan
Another common source of AC noise is the fan. The fan helps circulate cool air throughout your home. If the fan blades are unbalanced, they can cause the fan to wobble and make noise. You may also hear a rattling noise if the fan blades are hitting something inside the AC unit. Again, this is something that should be serviced by a professional.
Dirty Air Filter or Refrigerant Issues
If your AC is making more noise than usual, it could be due to a dirty filter. A dirty filter can restrict airflow and cause your AC to work harder, which can lead to increased noise. To reduce the noise from your AC, be sure to regularly clean or replace your air filter.
A noisy AC could also indicate there is a problem with the refrigerant. Refrigerant issues can overtax your AC, which can make it noisy. If you think your AC’s noise might be due to a refrigerant issue, contact a qualified technician for help.
Other Signs of AC System Distress
Is your Utah AC unit not working as well as it used to? Here are some signs that it may be time for a tune-up or repair:
- Your energy bills have gone up. If your air conditioner is working harder than usual to keep your home cool, it will use more energy and your utility bills will go up.
- The air coming from your AC unit is not as cold as it used to be. If the temperature of the air coming from your air conditioner is not as cold as it used to be, it could be a sign that the unit is low on refrigerant or that there is something wrong with the compressor.
- The AC unit is not cooling your home evenly. If you notice that the air conditioner is not cooling your home evenly, it could be a sign that the air filter is dirty or that there is something obstructing the flow of air through the unit.
- Your AC unit seems to be running all the time. If your air conditioner seems to be running all the time, it could be a sign that the thermostat is set too low or that there is something wrong with the compressor.
- Your home is too humid. If you live in Utah, you’re probably used to the dry desert air. But if you notice that your home feels unusually humid, it could be another sign that your AC unit isn’t working properly. This could be due to several different issues, including a clogged drain line or a problem with the evaporator coil.
What to Do
If you notice any strange noises coming from your AC unit, it’s best to have it checked out by a pro. Parley’s PPM Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is Utah’s leading AC service company. We provide tune-ups, repairs, and replacements for all makes and models of air conditioners. We also offer maintenance plans to keep your AC unit running smoothly all year long. Contact us today at 801-226-3033 (Utah County) or 801-229-2665 (Draper area) to schedule a consultation.