6 Benefits of Steam Humidifiers
As a Utah homeowner, you know how dry the winters here can be. Running a humidifier is the key to creating a healthier, more comfortable home. After all, dry air saps your body of its natural defenses, making you more prone to illness, itchy skin, dry nasal cavities, and sore throat. Static buildup is also a major problem in the winter, which you can easily remedy by adding a humidifier.
The next question is—what kind of humidifier should you buy? First of all, we recommend choosing a whole-house model. This way, humidified air circulates evenly throughout your entire home, as opposed to a tabletop unit that only impacts one room at a time.
Then, of all the different kinds of whole-house humidifiers you can choose, we recommend installing a steam humidifier. Here are six benefits of making this upgrade.
- Clean, hygienic humidity: Some humidification systems are prone to mold growth, spreading spores around every time they operate. On the other hand, steam humidifiers work by boiling potable or de-ionized water. The resulting steam is purified and hygienic, creating a healthier indoor environment. The ability to breathe easy with a steam humidifier is beneficial whether you have asthma and allergies or not.
- No chemical boiler elements required: The last thing you want is to poison your air supply with toxins in the humidified steam. Clean and pure steam humidification is possible by filtering boiler steam through stainless steel heat exchangers. This converts fresh water into steam and prevents hazardous chemical treatments from being dispersed.
- Efficient performance: The simplest, most cost-effective way to power a steam humidifier is to tap into the building’s boiler. If you use a furnace instead, you’ll need a separate heating element to heat the water reservoir. While this may impact your energy bills, the other steam humidifier benefits outweigh any additional operating costs you may incur.
- Easy installation: While you should hire a professional for steam humidifier installation, you can expect the job to go off without a hitch.
- Automated performance: The humidifier ties into your HVAC system, so it operates quietly and out of sight. Simply set the humidistat to your desired humidity level and walk away. The steam humidifier will turn on automatically, run as long as necessary, and shut off until it’s needed once more.
- Low maintenance: Unlike portable units that require daily tank filling and weekly cleaning, steam humidifiers require nearly zero maintenance. Simply follow the pre- and post-season cleaning recommendations to enjoy clean, evenly humidified air all winter long.
If you’re interested in installing a steam humidifier, reach out to Parley’s PPM Plumbing, Heating & Cooling. We have over 40 years of experience and a reputation for providing unparalleled customer service and quality HVAC maintenance, repairs, and installation. To learn more about steam humidifiers, please call 801-226-3033 for Utah County residents or 801-229-2665 if you live in Draper or Sandy. You can also contact us online with any questions you have.